If you were in Boston last month for HOW Live + Creative Freelancer Business Conference, you are probably still riding the wave of inspiration and motivation and, hopefully, already implementing some of the ideas you scribbled down (or took pictures of).
I spoke to one designer last week who was a bit overwhelmed by everything and trying to figure out what to do first. We used the "free mentoring session" to prioritize her To Do list so she could focus on the most important ones.
One of the highlights from the event was The Freelancer Showcase and Matchmaking Happy Hour. This is our attempt to bring together attendees from all 5 events at HOW Design Live to mix and mingle and ideally find a way to work together -- since CFBC especially is all about growing your business.
This is the second time we offered this activity -- it was a big success last year -- and it had definitely grown. This year we had 70 freelancers showing their work and chatting with potential clients and collaborators. Many had made signs for their tables -- Karen McElmoyle gave away these Post-It Note Books.
I'm happy to announce that one Marketing Mentor client already has a big corporate prospect with a lot of potential as a result of the 10 minute conversation she had at the event.
Here are more CFBC highlights:
- Tom Tumbusch wrote on the Creative Freelancer Blog: My business gets stronger every time I attend the Creative Freelancer Business Conference. I come home with more great ideas, resources, and new contacts than it seems possible to take advantage of in a single year (though that won’t stop me from trying). Here are just a few of this year’s high points....
- Deidre Rienzo wrote in "What I learned at the CFBC: Eat the Chicken: In Douglas Davis’ session, Creative Strategy and the Business of Design, he freed me from business maximization when he said, “Eat the chicken, spit out the bones.” This instantly gave me clarity—because up until then, I was astonished and overwhelmed by all the wisdom I’d heard.
- Jill Anderson of JillLynnDesign.com summed it all up in her Top 8 Takeaways in Tweets (then fleshed them out on her blog).
- I wrote on the Creative Freelancer Blog about netwalking, still one of my favorite activities at the conference -- we had a small but dedicated group that proved their mettle by getting up for a 6 AM walk. Kudos to all of them. Read more and see the pictures here..
- Christy Fuston of FustonCreative highlighted top quotations from favorite sessions in a post on their blog, Inspiration from HOW Design Live 2014
- Nicole Spielel-Gotsch did a round up of her own highlights for GraphicDesign.com here and featured Alina Wheeler's presentation, Ready, Set, Reinvent.
- Boom Ideanet shared some of the tips presented by veteran freelancers on work/life balance.
If you weren't there, you can get the best of HOW Design Live Online June 9-22 -- watch from anywhere with Wifi!